Thursday, April 25, 2013

Artisan Cooking and making cheese

I like the sound of Artisan, I know it's been way over used.  I looked up the meaning and here are a few I like.  So I think of myself as an Artisan Food Preserver and preparer of Food.

Well, the Taste Council definition is:
Artisan Food is defined as a superior tasting food, which commands a higher price in its category. Superior taste is achieved through food making skill
I don't think that really gets to the heart of the matter, however. 
Artisan food encompasses:a Persona Placea Producta Passion

“A kind of personal integrity that can be confused with eccentricity: 'however strange it may seem to you, this is the way I do things'
"Pride without arrogance: a sincere belief in the excellence of their work
"Humility and steadfastness: the ability to light the wood stove, milk the ewes, coax the bees out of their hives – quietly, without pretence – day after day, year after year.
"The belief that their work is not a means to something else, but one of the ways to give meaning to their lives.
"Genius: the brilliance that comes to those driven by their personal vision rather than a desire for success, money or fame.
"Generosity: they have no secrets. If you appreciate what they do, they'll tell you everything they know... and usually set a place for you at their table”.
For me , that's as good as a definition can get, I think: Integrity; pride, humility, meaning; genius, generosity.

So with all of this comes one of my favorite scripture, Nehemiah 8:10  "Go and celebrate with a feast of choice foods and sweet drinks, and share gifts of food with people who have nothing prepared.  This is a sacred day before our Lord.  Don't be dejected and sad, for the joy of the Lord is your strength!"(NLT)  This is what I have been called to do and I love it. 

I am making another wheel of Cheddar Cheese, so here are some pictures of the process.  
Heating the milk and waiting
A lot of waiting time and patience




Heating the curds
Cutting the Curds
Wheel of Cheddar Cheese, now to dry and age it.
After second pressing, will add more after final pressing.
Pressing the cheese, there are 3 pressings and times, the is 50#'s for 24 hours, so more waiting

No comments:

Post a Comment